I’m always trying to improve upon the humble sandwich. Inspired by travel, seasonal flavors and dinners with friends and family, I love taking pieces and parts from everywhere and combining them to create something undeniably mouthwatering. Though, I wouldn’t be telling the whole truth if I didn’t mention that recipes shared on Instagram are pretty inspiring too!
Today’s breakfast sandwich (that I also enjoy for lunch) was inspired by a Mediterranean plate that someone shared to their Instagram stories. Eggs, chili kale and a few other things; my first thought was “that would make a delish sandwich!” And it most certainly does!
Hearty, filling, a little bit spicy and full of healthy fats – this breakfast sandwich will please every tastebud and keep you satisfied well past lunchtime.
- 1 everything bagel (sesame or plain are good too but you really want the “everything” flavors)
- Chive & onion cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand)
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced thin
- 1 kale leaf, stem removed
- 1 egg, fried
- 1 tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Begin with the kale. Wash, remove stem then tear leaves into pieces. Massage torn kale (crunch it up in a towel) and set aside. Heat small skillet over medium-high heat and pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. When oil shimmers add kale, chili powder, chili flakes and salt & pepper to taste.
- While keeping an eye on chili kale, cut bagel in half and toast.
- Slice tomato then add as many slices as you want on your sandwich to skillet with kale, moving kale to one side. Add another 1/2 tbsp of olive oil is skillet looks dry. Season tomato with salt & pepper if desired and cook for about a minute, just long enough to get a little brown on the edges and thoroughly heated.
- Transfer tomato(es) and chili kale to plate and set aside. Pour remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil in skillet, still over medium-high heat, then crack egg over oil.
- While egg cooks slightly, remove bagel from toaster and coat bottom half with chive & onion cream cheese then layer on tomato and chili kale.
- Flip mostly-cooked egg over to sear the top for about 1 minute or longer depending on how runny you like your eggs. Place egg on sandwich over veggies.
- Top egg with avocado slices, then crumble on goat cheese and add the top part of the bagel.
Warm salty tomatoes, spicy saucy kale, and cool avocado sprinkled with tangy goats cheese – kicked up a notch with the bold flavors of the garlicky, cripsy everything bagel halves. Now those are flavors worth getting out of bed for!
If you try it, let me know in the comments below!
Warm Everything Bagel Sandwich with Chili-Kale and Egg — | My Meals are on WheelsAugust 21, 2019 at 3:34 am
[…] via Warm Everything Bagel Sandwich with Chili-Kale and Egg — […]
Juliana GraceAugust 15, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Oh my gosh this looks heavenly! I will have to try this recipe out soon!
Juliana Grace | http://www.julianagraceblogspace.com
MiaAugust 16, 2019 at 8:47 am
Thank you so much!! Let me know when you try it!
ThinkandbeehappyAugust 15, 2019 at 8:48 am
I love a good breakfast sandwich but the weird thing is that I’ve never made them at home! This one looks so good. Thanks so much for sharing and giving inspiration.
MiaAugust 15, 2019 at 9:23 am
Where we live right now, there aren’t many good restaurants nearby, so I am forced to get creative! So glad you liked the post!!
ThinkandbeehappyAugust 15, 2019 at 9:33 am
Aw that sucks! But you can make the most of it at home which is awesome.
MiaAugust 15, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Yes! It is nice to have total control of what goes into our meals.